Instead of buying Sushi for lunch this week, why not have some fun in the kitchen and make your own with this week’s recipe!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can fill the rolls with any of your favourite ingredients. So get creative and start rolling!
• 160g dry basmati rice
• 1 lebanese cucumber, chopped into matchsticks
• 1 carrot, grated
• ½ avocado, sliced
• 4 nori sheets (dried seaweed sheets)
• 2 tbsp salt reduced soy sauce, to serve
• 2 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
• 680g baked firm tofu*, chopped into matchsticks *can substitute for other lean proteins (e.g. chicken, tuna)
• In a large saucepan add water to the half point, heat on low and bring to boil.
• Add the rice, reduce heat to low to simmer rice, and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
• Drain and rinse rice, allow to cool for 10 minutes.
• Place one nori sheet on a bamboo rack or board, spread a thin layer of rice to cover, on the end of one side place some carrot, avocado, cucumber, tofu and mayonnaise.
• Firmly start to roll the end of the nori sheet on the side with the ingredients, ensuring everything is packed in tightly, to seal the end of the nori sheet, add a little water. Cut sushi in half with a sharp knife.
• Repeat with next three nori sheets and the other ingredients.
• Add soy sauce as desired