Taking steps to prevent or control diabetes doesn’t mean you can’t eat a tasty and balanced diet. This week’s recipe is a delicious ‘Beef & Kidney Bean Stroganoff’ that is not only diabetes friendly but also a hearty winter meal for the whole family to enjoy!
This week’s recipe is a delicious ‘Beef & Kidney Bean Stroganoff’ that is not only diabetes friendly but also a hearty winter meal for the whole family to enjoy!
• Choose a low glycemic index rice, such as brown, basmati, mahatma or doongara, as these types of rice don’t raise your blood glucose levels as high as other types.
• Beans, such as the three-bean mix and kidney beans add protein in place of meat, contain no fat, provide fibre and help to keep your blood sugar levels under control. They can also help to reduce high cholesterol levels.
Cooking time: 20 min
• 1 cup canned red kidney beans
• 200g premium beef mince
• 3 cups chopped mushrooms
• 1 red capsicum, diced
• 2 sliced medium onions
• 1 Tbs water
• 1/4 cup wholemeal flour
• 3/4 cup beef, chicken or vegetable stock
• 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 tsp marjoram
• 1/4 tsp chilli powder
• 1/4 tsp thyme
• dash nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp garlic
• 1 1/2 cups plain non-fat yoghurt
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 240g rice
• Cook rice according to instructions on the packet.
• Saute mushrooms and onions in water until tender in a large frying pan.
• Add beef and sauté until brown.
• Mix flour, stock, Worcestershire sauce, spices, nutmeg, garlic in a bowl.
• Add to pan and cook until thick.
• Stir in beans and capsicum, and cook over low heat until heated through.
• Remove from heat and stir in yoghurt and lemon juice.
• Serve over rice.