Your body’s thermostat’s gone on the blink, you’re gaining weight, or becoming forgetful. Sounds familiar? During menopause, your body undergoes a lot of changes so, your diet needs to change to compensate for your new dietary needs. Accredited Practising Dietitian, Melanie McGrice lists her 5 top foods to eat during menopause…
1. Calcium fortified soy milk – Soy milk is a good source of isoflavones which helps to reduce the symptoms of menopause such as hot flushes. Choose a brand which is calcium-fortified as your calcium requirements sky-rocket during menopause.
2. Chick peas – Chick peas are also rich in isoflavones, and they have the added value of being high in soluble fibre which helps to reduce cholesterol levels. This is essential because women tend to gain abdominal fat post menopause which increases their cholesterol levels.
3. Sardines – Sardines are high in essential omega 3 DHA fatty acids. DHA helps to reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke, and has been shown to increase memory and brain function. Sardines are also a rich source of calcium.
4. DHA fortified yoghurt – Yoghurt is a good snack choice post menopause because it is high in calcium which helps to reduce your risk of osteoporosis. Choose a brand which is fortified with DHA, which is good for your eyes, brain and heart.
5. Oats – Oats contain beta-glucan which is a type of soluble fibre which has been found to lower cholesterol levels. They are also low GI to keep you feeling fuller for longer.
If you’d like to know more about minimising the side effects of menopause, make an appointment to see one of our experienced Dietitians.